Creator Audio and Video
Streams can be set up as audio only or with video. Streams set up as audio only will replace the video screen with the uploaded thumbnail.
We capture video up to 1280x720 HD Video depending on the creator's bandwidth/client device. 1280x720 is the default selected, and we always attempt to stream at that resolution. If the client device or network conditions do not support 1280x720, we will automatically select the next largest resolution (640x480). Finally, if needed then we will fall back to 320x240.
A creator has the option to pull in video in 2 ways: Easy (in the browser) or Advanced (via RTMP input (OBS)).
The creator video can have from 1 to 6 participants directly from within the browser.
When creating a video you can select a camera to show your audio and video inputs from a dropdown
When a host changes the volume on the stream, it will adjust the volume in the stream, so your viewers can hear more of you, or more of your topic video, depending on how you adjust things.
While HotMic has a production studio that works right in your browser, we also support inputs from other video streaming software such as OBS.
When you select Advanced Mode, you can copy the stream key and server for that stream, and use this to push RTMP from any streaming tool that supports RTMP output.
Note: The stream key and server frequently rotate for security reasons. If you leave the stream and come back after a long period of time, double check the server and stream key.
OBS Setup Instructions
- Launch OBS Studio on the source system. Choose Settings to open the settings window. Choose Stream to access the streaming settings.
- Complete the fields as follows and choose Apply to save your changes:
- For Stream Type, choose Custom Streaming Server.
- For URL, copy the Server. Remove the / at the end of the URL.
- For Stream key, copy the stream name.
- Leave the Use authentication box unchecked.
- Choose Output from the left-hand menu and in Output Mode, choose Advanced.
- Complete the Streaming tab as follows and choose Apply to save your changes:
- For the Encoder, choose x264.
- Select Rescale Output box and type 1280x720 in the drop-down (it’s not a drop-down option, but you can enter it manually).
- Change Bitrate to a number up to 10000 (if your uplink bandwidth is sufficient).
- Leave the remaining settings at their defaults.
- Choose Audio from the left-hand menu, confirm the following, and choose Apply if you had to make any changes:
- Sample rate is 44.1 kHz.
- Channels are set to Stereo.
- Choose Video from the left-hand menu complete the fields as follows. Choose Apply to save your changes.
- For Base (Canvas) Resolution, choose 1280x720.
- For Output (Scaled) Resolution, choose 1280x720.
- Set 30 as the desired frame rate in Common FPS Values.
- Choose OK to dismiss the settings window.
We output the creator video as an HLS stream to your viewers in the following resolutions:
- 1280 × 720
- 640 x 480
- 320 x 240
The viewer's local device and network conditions will automatically select the best choice for them from these three options.